- To undertake scientific evaluation of Science and Technology Options beneficial to different programmes under State’s Five-Year Plan and to prepare Science and Technology plans relevant to developmental needs of the Andaman and Nicobar islands.
- To disseminate Science and Technology information among the Govt.. Departments and Agencies.
- To co-ordinate and develop appropriate institutional infrastructure for implementation of Science and Technology programmes in the State/UT.
- To promote effective Co-ordination and linkage with other developmental departments and to develop an information system, monitoring net work field action and demonstration schemes and matters relevant to planning and co-ordination on Science, Technology, Environment and Ecology at the State/UT level.
- To identify areas in which Science and Technology can be utilised for achieving the socio-economic objectives of the State/UT and in particular the objectives of tackling the problems of backwardness of rural areas in various islands and the problems of under utilisation of Marine, Forest, Land and Water resources.
- To encourage promotion of industries based on the raw material available in the territory and thereby increase the employment potential.
- To advise the government on the formulation of policies and measures to promote application of Science and Technology to identify needs and objectives, particularly in the areas of health, education and manpower utilisation.
- To initiate, support and coordinate Science and Technology programmes in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.